Thursday, January 3, 2019

January 3, 2019 Matthiesson State Park Dells Area

 I really wasn't expecting very many people with the coldness.  We had about 50 hikers and 2 dogs. We started in the Lodge's Lobby and departed from there.  We carpooled to the Dells area of Matthiessen State Park. There has been some flooding on the Vermillion and Illinois River, wasn't sure if that would effect the hiking in the dells.  


Matthiessen Park Bridge by the Lower Dells area





Lose a glove anyone?

Going down the stairs by the fort

I started out in the front of the group. Looking back at the group and hoping no one falls on the slightly slippery stairs.

Coming around the corner by Strawberry Rock

The famous "Strawberry Rock"

This is not a trail into Devil's Paintbox (notice the red trail marker)

Crossing this stream was difficult.  There was 2 places to cross, neither place was great.  Rocks were ok to step on, but wood pieces were extremely slippery. There was a thin coating of ice on the wood. I did not go in to the Dells area.  Myself and a few others waited on the concrete bridge for the group.


Bridge crossing over the Dells area.


View from the bridge looking down into the Dells area.  Second crossing. I saw 3 people fall here.

The rest of the group climbing the stairs out of the Dells area


Zoomed in photo of the group coming back
 
From the Bridge by Cascade Falls

We are on our way to Matthiessen Lake

Waterfall by Cedar Point area

Looking down to the Lake Falls at the Bridge.  I did not go down the stairs for a better view. Some walker's came up those stairs and said they were slippery.  I chose to forgo them.

I was very surprised to see a frozen Lake Matthiessen

On our way back to the starting area.  I turned back around to see if I could see Lake Falls.
 
 I will leave you with this: For every evil under the sun, There is a remedy, or there is none; If there be one, try and find it, If there be none, never mind it.


No comments:

Post a Comment