Thursday, February 4, 2016

Lover's Leap, Eagles Cliff, Wildcat and LaSalle Canyons 01-31-2016

This hike is from Saturday January 31st.   There were 10 hikers.  Temperature wise is was great hiking.  However with the comfortable hiking weather all the ice on the trails has melted and we had continuous boot sucking mud. Canyons still looked great if you didn't mind getting your boots muddy. I didn't see any of my hikers fall in the mud, but I did hear that one did fall gracefully and didn't have any mud on her to show for it. 

Top of French


View of the Locks and Hydro electric power plant from Eagles Cliff

Best view in the park.  View from Eagle's Cliff looking East.

Ice fall in Wildcat Canyon on the East wall

Wildcat Canyon main Ice fall.  It is hard to see, but there is someone ice climbing on the left side.  I think the ice fall is a bit weak.  I met a pair of Conservation police officers, when we finished our hike. I asked them if it was ok to climb today since the falls looked to be a little weak.  He said as long as they sign in at the Visitor Center.  I told him the condition of the Wildcat Canyon.  His response was that he didn't say it was smart. 

Did I mention the trails were muddy?


Along the river trail near Sandstone Point
LaSalle Canyon


LaSalle Canyon


This is an ice statue.  What is left of the ice fall in LaSalle Canyon

The Water is really coming down in LaSalle Canyon

Behind the falls in LaSalle Canyon

Coming up the Bluff stairs.

My happy muddy group

Wildcat Canyon from the East overlook
After all the mud, this boardwalk was a big relief.


I will leave you with this: The promise of Spring's arrival is enough to get anyone through a rough winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment