Friday, October 23, 2015

Oct. 22, 2015 St. Louis Canyon

Starved Rock in peak color!!!


Today's Walker's Club went to St. Louis Canyon, with some of them venturing into Aurora Canyon.  I had a prior hike scheduled with a group of 2nd graders and had to break off early and bypass Aurora.  It really pained me not to go into Aurora as it is my favorite canyon.  When I was with the 2nd graders we went to Lover's Leap, Eagles Cliff and Wildcat Canyon. 

Since I had to leave early, I asked Terry to lead the group.  He stopped at our newest wood carving. All about Illinois.

We have 18 canyons in the park and 4 of them are to the West of the Lodge


What is a walk without going up?

On this walk, I think Orange/Yellow is the color of the day.

View of Utica from the West Bluff trail

Not all the color today were in the leaves. This is on the way to St. Louis Canyon.  Iron in the sandstone

St. Louis Canyon - dry today
Terry is getting ready to tell the group a story

Close up of St. Louis Canyon where the waterfall once was earlier in the year


I was waiting (not long) for a raccoon to peek out

Little bit of red

On the way back to the Lodge
Once the boardwalk ended the trail was barely visible.
I only saw the top of Aurora Canyon.  That will have to be enough for today.
Bridge over the entrance road
I arrived back at the Lodge with 20 minutes to spare.  What a treat.  They asked many questions and stayed as a group.  They were a little chatty, but when I was telling them some history or about the animals that lived here, they were all quiet and listened well.  Just like little sponges.  I must say, they were a little disappointed that we didn't have bears here.  Some of them were really hoping to see one.  We saw pelicans, Canadian geese and many grey squirrels.
Our first stop was Lover's Leap.  This is where I told them the Legend of Starved Rock.  How Starved Rock received its name.

The colors were so spectacular here, I thought I would take two photos.

View looking East from Eagles Cliff

Many pelicans, all trying to get the best spot.
I will leave you with this: A fallen leaf is nothing more than Summer's wave goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment