Thursday, April 2, 2015

April 2, 2015 Matthiessen Park

When I woke up in the morning, I thought for sure we would be hiking in the rain.  I brought my raincoat just in case.  No need.  We didn't get one drop during the hike.  May of us had rain gear on.  Today we had 17 hikers. We saw some spectacular waterfalls, partly from the prior evening's rainfall.

 
My daughter Kayla came home for Easter break and came hiking with us.
 
Ron's grandsons were also visiting for Easter break.  Kaden and Alex.  I don't know who was more prouder here.  Ron certainly was happy that they were here and they seemed to love hiking with us.

We began our hike at the Fort area of Matthiessen State Park

Today we hiked the lower dells first then the upper dells.

Joann wore her rain gear so that it wouldn't rain

Water near Strawberry Rock

Strawberry Rock

Going down and then down some more
 
Spectacular waterfall at the Devil's Paint box



We had to go through a little mud to get to Cascade Falls

Still some ice sheets left


Cascade Falls


Going back up the concrete steps


We saw the beginning of many Spring Wildflowers.  This is the start of Tooth wort

Crossing over Cascade Falls and going down into the Upper Dells Area

Hepatica.  Flowers always come before the leaves.

I gotta say, this was a tough one today

Couldn't hardly believe this one..... Virginia Bluebells... Pretty soon!

The beginnings on Dutchman's Britches

Tennis Ball Flower - NOT

Hepatica

Lots of Roots

My favorite waterfall at Matthiessen Park. Giant's Bathtub

Above Giant's Bathtub looking back

Lake Falls

Lake Falls

Kaden and Alex

Matthiessen Lake - Great Reflection

Lake Falls looking down

Surprised to see this wildflower also - Purple Trillium

Cedar Point Falls - From the top

Glad there was a restroom when we got back.... all those waterfalls.....
What a great day to hike.  I was off work today, but went out to hike with my friends from the Walker's Club.  What a treat!

I will leave you with this: Of all the paths you take in life, make sure some of them are dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment